These stitch and glue boat plans are for a 2 person flats skiff. The boat plans include full size templates of each part for you to trace on plywood and cut out yourself. They also include detailed assembly drawings.
The Flats River Skiff 15 is the perfect two person shallow water fishing skiff. Its shallow dead rise aft and sharp entry forward provide a smooth ride in light chop and stability on plane and at rest. Its flat deck forward will accommodate a trolling motor, and as a result provides ample fishing space with anchor, battery, and gear storage below. Rear seating is configurable as a split bench or full bench with storage on each side. This flats skiff is designed as a tiller, but a compact side console can be added.
- Ideal for a first time boat builder with basic carpentry experience
- Simple layout is easily customized
- Build time is 80-100 hours
- Built cost is $2000-$2500
- Plans included full size patterns for tracing (easily cut with a jig saw)
- Plywood Kit includes all plywood pre-cut by CNC (first 2 items on materials list)
Flats River Skiff -15 Specs:
- 15′ LOA
- 5’4″ beam
- 6.5″ draft @ 1000 lbs (max gross)
- 700lb Capacity (2 people and gear)
- 30hp max
What are stitch and glue boat plans?
Stitch and glue boat plans are great for amateur boat builders!
Stitch and glue boat building uses marine grade plywood that is stitched together with zipties and glued with epoxy resin. The first step is to trace the full size patterns onto marine grade plywood and cut them out. Then you will hold everything in place with zipties so you can install the simple frame. After that, apply thickened epoxy to glue everything together. All wood is sealed with epoxy resin and some areas are covered with fiberglass for additional strength. Finally, roll on some paint and enjoy the ride!
Watch this video about stitch and glue boat building for more details and explanation.
Flats River Skiff -15 Materials List:
- 6 sheets – 4′ x 8′ x 1/4″ Okume or Meranti marine grade plywood
- 2 sheets – 4′ x 8′ x 3/8″ Okume or Meranti marine grade plywood
- 35 linear feet – 1/2″ x 1″ stock Cypress, Juniper or Fir
- 120 linear feet – 1″ x 1″ stock Cypress, Juniper, or Fir
- 35 linear feet – 1-1/8″ x 3/4″ stock Cypress, Juniper or Fir
- 40′ linear feet – 1-1/2″ x 3/4″ stock Fir or Sapele
- 6 gallons – Marine Epoxy (add 1 lb of fumed silica for fillets)
- 24 cu/ft – 2 lb density expanding pour foam, closed cell
- 25 yards – 10oz biaxial cloth 50″ wide
- Marine primer & paint (Quantity will vary by manufacturer, application method and number of coats.)
- Gougeon Brothers on Boat Construction (free PDF download)
Questions? Check out our FAQ
Note: The Plywood Kit does NOT include shipping. The kit must be picked up or shipped via motor freight on a 4’x8′ pallet and weights roughly 250lbs. Buyer is responsible for arranging shipping via motor freight. Average cost is $400-$600 for Eastern US. Please contact us with any questions regarding shipping costs and lead times before placing an order.