These stitch and glue boat plans are for a light, compact and stable solo skiff to access shallow water. The solo skiff plans include full size templates of each part for you to trace and cut out yourself. They also include detailed assembly drawings.
The boat combines the features of a paddle board (SUP), kayak, and jon boat to deliver a multi-purpose boat that can be handled by one person.
This small skiff can be built in roughly 50 hours and costs less than $1000 in material!
Perfect for first time boat builders!
- Build time is roughly 50 hours
- Cost less than $1000 to build
- Weighs 100lbs
- Ideal for 1 adult & gear
- Free instructional how-to video series
- Paddle, trolling motor or outboard (6hp max, 15″ shaft)
- Fits between the fenders in a full size truck bed
- Integrated reverse chines provide excellent stability
- Requires only basic carpentry tools
- No boat building experience needed
What are stitch and glue boat plans?
Stitch and glue boat plans are great for amateur boat builders!
Stitch and glue boat building uses marine grade plywood that is stitched together with zipties and glued with epoxy resin. The first step is to trace the full size patterns onto marine grade plywood and cut them out. Then you will hold everything in place with zipties so you can install the simple frame. After that, apply thickened epoxy to glue everything together. All wood is sealed with epoxy resin and some areas are covered with fiberglass for additional strength. Finally, roll on some paint and enjoy the ride!
Watch this video about stitch and glue boat building for more details and explanation.
- 11’8″ LOA
- 4′ beam
- 1.25″ draft @ 100 lbs (dry weight)
- 300lb capacity (1 person, gear and engine)
- Paddle or 6hp max
- 4 sheets – 4′ x 8′ x 3/16″ Okume or Meranti marine grade plywood
- 50 linear feet – 1/2″ x 1″ stock Cypress or Juniper
- 60 linear feet – 1″ x 1″ stock Cypress or Juniper
- 2.5 gallons – Marine Epoxy (add 1 lb of fumed silica for fillets)
- 18 cu/ft – 2 lb density expanding pour foam, closed cell
- 12 yards – 10oz biaxial cloth 50″ wide
- Marine primer & paint (Quantity will vary by manufacturer, application method and number of coats.)
- Gougeon Brothers on Boat Construction (free PDF download)
Questions? Check out our FAQ
Watch the full boat build in 60 seconds: